Monday, May 01, 2006

Had a great birthday weekend! My birthday fell on the Daytime Emmy Awards and CL at Sesame Street was nice enough to give Kim and I the extra tickets which was over $600 a piece. We met up at their hotel lobby (The Renaissance) before heading to the red carpet. We took group pictures and Kim got some photos with Oscar and Elmo. Then we all headed toward the Kodak Theater. While on the street, Carroll and Kevin who puppeteer Oscar and Elmo respectively, played to the passerby’s. We all got to walk the red carpet. CL, Carroll and Kevin went through the bottle necked press line while we walked ahead and took pictures of ourselves with the big Emmy statues and behind the scene shots of the soap stars and paparazzi.

Rick Springfield opened the show with a medley of his 80’s hits. Sesame Street was the third category up and won best pre-school children’s series. The rest of the evening was going to be good. Truthfully it was no contest. Carroll Spinney (who puppeteers Big Bird and Oscar) received a lifetime achievement award from the academy. Well deserved. And he was having so much fun that night with his wife Debbie. Barbara Walters presented the award to Carroll and then made an announcement with Rosie O’Donnell of Rosie joining The View. Kim was happy to be able to say he saw Tyra Banks, although just on the stage. I was happy to see Rachel Ray, although just on the stage. We saw and brushed up against lots of soap people we didn’t recognize. Ellen DeGeneres was fun. Porcia was there. And oh, we saw some cast members of Grey’s Anatomy, some nice dress, some not too noteworthy except a sort of see-thru dress. Or maybe she shouldn’t have worn black underwear with a nude color dress. After the 3 hour ceremony, we were starving. There was much ado about nothing going up a few floors to get to the reception. Bad crowd control. Wolfgang Puck catered the dinner which was all delicious especially the appetizers. Not easy to do for such a large number of people. Though the vegetarian meal was only the size of half a tomato. Tim, the vegetarian of the group had to ask for another. Sorry Julie, there was no dessert, just coffee that I remember.

Have Emmy, will travel.

We walked into the ABC after party with the producers. No checking names on the list, it wouldn’t have been there. ABC had a nice venue with dancing and karaoke (which of course I took advantage of. Girl’s Just Want to Have Fun was sung by a few of us.) Hamlin and Lisa Rena were a beautiful couple shaking it up on the dance floor. We also got a “prom like or cruise ship like” photo taken with an Emmy statue and ABC backdrop that I had to insist getting with Kim. Hey it was free.

SAT, 4/29

Met up with some of my high school friends for breakfast at 10am. I can’t imagine any of you NY’ers doing that. But here we have a couple of mothers who had to squeeze it in. We picked up as if years hadn’t gone by since some of us talked. I wasn’t recognized at first by one of my friends! I forgot I’ve lost some weight in my face since I’ve taken up jogging (although the rest of my body has gain the weight back, my face didn't) We don’t live too far away from each other and we plan to keep in touch.

Later on in the day, Kim took me to Paradise Cove. It Malibu, there is this little cove where we can drink and sit on porch chairs right on the sand. If you come to visit, I will take you there! Then we had dinner with my parents and my brother John in Thousand Oaks. Aah strip malls. This one was beautifully done with lights and water. Not bad looking at night.

Sunday was golf for Kim and sidewalk lunch on Ventura Blvd and a trip to a Korean grocery store not too far away.

Need to workout today!

2 Comments:

At 6:05 PM, Blogger JGSchaeffer said...

What an awesome time to go to the Daytime Emmys! And book Cam, Joss, and I for Paradise Cove when we get out there to visit. Once we're on the left coast too it won't be too far to come see each other...

 
At 10:00 AM, Blogger Pam said...

Alright Fer, Cam and Joss! Reservation taken. Looking forward to seeing your guys on the left hand/creative coast ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home