We took my dad to the emergency room on Tuesday night. He was able to come home today. It was very scary not knowing what was wrong at first. He was lethargic, couldn't get out of bed all day. My mother called the doctor who asked her to take his temperature and sure enough he had a fever. After getting him to the hospital which took both my brother and Kim, they were able to give him antibiotics. And over night, my dad was much better. My dad had urinary track infection which on the elderly can be immobilizing. They will still do tests to check him out.
Things I will keep in mind in the future if I had to take someone to the ER will be health insurance info, meds the person takes, allergies. And although I did, I would emphasize how the patience usually functions. Because my dad is 79, I think it was important to tell them he is usually able to walk up and down stairs on his own every day, though slowly. I got the feeling they didn't know how serious to take us. But also, by the time we got him to the ER, the Tylenol started to knick in and my dad was already talking more. Though, he didn't realize the whole day had passed. He thought Kim had the day off of work.
I have to say my little brother John sure has been very responsible. This isn't the first time my dad has had to go to the hospital, just my first time going with him. I hope will be able to ease the work for my mom and brother now that I'm here. I was still able to work part time last week. The best part of that job is I can practically set my own hours. More about some interesting characters my dad had to share his hospital room with another time. Thanks to all the well wishes from those who knew about the situation.

2 Comments:
Very glad to know that things are on the upswing concerning your Father's health. Our best wishes for continued improvement and good health. Hope you and Kim are doing okay too.
Hi Pam,
Glad to hear your dad is feeling better. I know what you mean about hospitals - they are so stressful, especially if you don't have the patient's records/medications, etc. Not fun, I know.
-fer
Post a Comment
<< Home