Monday, May 08, 2006

Kim and I had a great weekend in San Diego! It wont be too long before we go back.

Our plan was to leave early Sat but by Fri afternoon we decided to leave Fri night instead. Kim scored points by taking us to Crab Cookery in Newport Beach. A place he heard about from work. I feasted on Alaskan king crab legs. Yum oh!

We were able to stay at the same hotel I made reservations for Sat. which was near SD's Little Italy. It wasn't luxurious but convenient. Sat morning we had breakfast at Chai Chocolate, a little eatery where I had the best frozen hot chocolate. Julie would approve. Then we headed to Hotel Del Coronado where the movie "Some Like It Hot" with Marilyn Monroe and Tony Curtis was filmed. The little island and bridge that goes there reminded us of Nassau/Paradise Island. We did a lot of walking around. Next time we will park on the street and save the $10 parking fee at the hotel. We then parked the car at our hotel and did the trolley the rest of the day. First stop at the trolley for us was Old Town. Since it was the day after Cinco de Mayo, Old Town was especially festive. There was lots of music and dancing and brilliant colors. I had a pina colada and tried to eat lunch, but I had nibbled so much along the way, I couldn't eat all of my enchilada. Next, we took the trolley to the Gaslamp Quarter. Here the crowd and area was more like NY, where you can bar hop, pick out a restaurant and shop within about 15 blocks. It was very close to their baseball field. And there was going to be a game that night so there was much celebrating even before the game got started. After a few hours of that, Kim and I went back to Little Italy to find a place to eat. A line out the door of a deli caught our attention. Turns out Filippi’s also had a restaurant where the entrance was inside their deli. We were willing to wait to see what the big fuss was about since we weren’t that hungry. Well, there was a reason for this line! Kim ordered Lasagna and it was the best I’ve ever had. Kim always seems to know just what to order. I had spaghetti with meat sauce which was okay but it wouldn’t have been worth the wait. Hopefully some lucky homeless person found it because I ate most of Kim's lasagna.

Sunday, we checked out and headed to La Jolla. It was a cloudy morning but La Jolla was as cute as I remembered. And it seemed to have expanded a bit. We saw some seals lying out at the beach. So much fun to watch. Then we drove up the coast and stopped by a flea market, a huge one, at one of the towns on the way near Carlsbad. I bought my mother a straw hat as a Mother’s Day gift. I hope she likes it. We stopped again at Laguna Beach for lunch. Laguna is a fancy arts community with lots of galleries. Unfortunately when you drive through this area, the houses cover up the ocean view. Basically now we are in OC and headed back to I-5 for our trip home. Kim was happy the clouds gave away in the afternoon and when we got home we again took a walk... before sunset and checked out the homes on the hills behind our apartment community. I say community because there are over 600 apartments here.

It’s a sunny but hazy day today. What does that mean you ask? It means the sky looks, and is probably combined with, smog and haze and you can only see limited distance. On a clear day, we can see the mountains on the other side of the valley. Not today. It almost looks foggy. I’ve always loved looking at the sky in NY. It’s actually blue. And it turns indigo as the night sets in. Right now, the sky is white/gray. When the sun sets though, the sky will turn a bit pink. Ahh.. it’s the little things in life…

5 Comments:

At 7:13 PM, Blogger CamChes said...

We had a great time hanging with Julie for most of the day yesterday walking around various street fairs. Started out with a brunch with Amy W and Taya & Oscar at Henry's. Nice. Sounds like you guys are doing great out there. Love keeping up to date via the BLOG.
cheers

 
At 7:19 PM, Blogger JGSchaeffer said...

LaJolla is one of my fave places in the US. Do they still have the beach where the seals hang out and you can get up right near them as long as you stay on the other side of the rope? It's so cute to watch the baby seals close up (just don't bring ML - she's a danger with that club).

 
At 11:50 AM, Blogger Lauren Bell said...

Wow -- that sounds like an awesome trip! And I definitely DO approve of that frozen hot chocolate!! Mmmmmmm. I would love to see San Diego, La Jolla, and Laguna Beach someday -- are they far from where you guys live? Rachael Ray did a show from Laguna Beach that made me want to move there--but with all of the development I'm not so sure. Did you take any pix of the seals? Miss you -- Love, Julie

 
At 12:33 AM, Blogger Pam said...

I've been saying San Diego/La Jolla is where I'd like to retire. Now Kim agrees and he wouldn't mind moving there sooner. Yes, they have the sectioned off area to see the seals. No pictures though, I think they come out looking like stones. As far as the cities in between S.D. and L.A., a visit would suffice.

 
At 7:58 AM, Blogger HarleyQ said...

The conference that I go to for work every memorial day weekend is in San Diego next year -- after reading your comprehensive travelogue I think I have all the info I need to invite Londo out there and make a trip out of it. Sounds like a fantastic city!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home